top of page
  • Writer's pictureMary Lim

A New Tool All Marketers Should Know About

Photo by Hybrid on Unsplash

When I was 19, I made an impulsive decision that cost me $22,000. It was a used 2007 Nissan Sentra already up to 90K miles. After suffering through payments with a 19% APR, the thing was finally paid off.

“At least I’ll have good credit now,” I thought.

Fast forward to present day Mary — ready for a new car from a larger and more established dealership. The associate asks, “Have you ever paid off a vehicle before? There’s nothing in your credit history.” Um… excuse me!?

Needless to say — I went home, found the used car dealer online, and furiously typed out a 1-star review.


Typically, people only fill out surveys if they are offered an incentive or have an outstandingly good (or let’s face it, often terrible) customer service experience. According to this article, the average survey response rate is only 33%. Business owners are completely missing the sentiment of the remaining 67%.

Happy maps is a new technology which allows you to get the full picture of how consumers are feeling without having to ask them. This unique tool is used to supplement traditional surveys. The benefits are illustrated through a case study below.


The Challenge

A trade show organizer wanted to increase exhibitor retention and satisfaction. To meet this goal, they needed a simple yet accurate way to measure attendee engagement and traffic on the trade show floor.

The Solution

​Smart cameras utilizing facial analysis technology were mounted on select booths to capture data. Headcount and facial micro-expressions were analyzed (anonymously) to produce a happy map report. This was accomplished without any user action from the trade show participants or exhibitors. Pretty easy, huh?

Happy Map Image by Zenus

The happy map displayed areas where people were most and least engaged. Some of the successful exhibitor booths did the following:

  • Had puppies for adoption 😍 and gave away ice cream

  • Hosted educational content and interactive games

  • Held a gift-giving program for people in need

Booths which created unique experiences and a personal connection achieved 2x Return-on-Experience (ROE) compared to ones that only gave away merch. Imagine how much more effectively brands can market themselves when equipped with this data!


Many stakeholders benefited from the use of happy maps. Exhibitors were able to see how they performed. The organizer offered an innovative report which resulted in high exhibitor satisfaction. They even secured 100% of booth renewals for next year’s show: Cha-ching!

This type of data allows organizers to prove the event’s value, upsell booth packages, and even attract new participants.

While the case study focused on events, happy maps have many applications (e.g., retail store displays, brand activations, museum installations, etc.). If your business wants to automatically measure engagement while increasing sales in the process, then get a happy map!

Read more case studies here.



Couldn’t Load Comments
It looks like there was a technical problem. Try reconnecting or refreshing the page.
bottom of page